When all else fails..."SUGAR COAT IT!"

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Stitch in time

My husband grew up in small town Missouri as an accident prone child.  On one occasion he felt the need to climb up a bookshelf to attain an object that had been placed on the top shelf.  Needless to say he fell, and so did the bookshelf.  Right on top of him!

He was in second grade at the time and the ER doctor had a son in the same grade as my husband. (The two boys eventually graduated high school together.)  I'm not exactly sure how many stitches he wound up with, but he was a small kid and it was a BIG bookshelf.  The doctor and nurses presented him with a teddy bear that he got to take home w/ him because of the whole event.  The teddy was aptly named Stitches.

I was first introduced to stitches the first time I met my husband's parents.  I was spending the night in the guest bedroom and at the age of 18 I was still afraid of the dark.  (Yes that's right afraid of the dark, don't make fun.) He was trying so hard to make me feel comfortable. I was far away from home, in a small town as a city girl, in the house of the parents of the man I wanted to marry. He was unsure what to do when all of the sudden his eyes lit up.  He left the guest bedroom and returned w/ a soft little brown bear, "Stitches."

 I have been working on a wreath the past week and it has been sitting several days as I have hit "crafting block"  Last night Becky suggested setting a doll in it.  It sounded kinda like something my Grandma would hang in her house, but I went out to a box of jon's and my childhood memories.  In the box lay Stitches the bear.  The wreath below was the final result and is proudly displayed in our living room.


1 comment:

  1. Heh, heh! I have an accident prone godfather/uncle. He's broken his nose seven times and been struck by lightning more than once. And he's still alive. :-)

    ReplyDelete