When all else fails..."SUGAR COAT IT!"

Sunday, December 26, 2010

5 Items or LESS: Sugar and Spice Tasteeos

WELCOME!! To a new segment I am going to try called 5 Items or LESS
We've all been there, those days when all we need to do is run in and run out of the grocery store and what we treasure more than the few minutes w/o the kids to make the mad dash is the beckoning sign under register #1 "10 items or less." Just as our trips in and out of the store need to be quick, often times our trips in and out of the kitchen need to be just as time efficient.  I don't know about your family, but mine is running as short on cash as it is on time making drive-thrus a luxury not a necessity. So once a week I would like to share with you a quick and simple meal or snack that was a big hit and only required 5 ingredients for me to make. 

This week I stumbled upon a recipe on the back of our off-brand Cheerio box.  I scanned it over and thought, "huh, that sounds quick, simple, and yummy."  Well tonight I was having an attack of pre-road trip insanity as the list of things to do before we leave for my mom and dad's house in the morning filled my mind.  I ran to the bathroom w/ my cell phone and sent my husband this text:  "WARNING: this is not a test of the emergency my wife is going crazy system. This is the real thing. Had this been only a test your wife wouldn't have locked herself in the bathroom to text you." With my S.O.S. sent and my deep breath taken I decided to "sugar coat it." What is better than a little baking therapy? 

I opened up the cabinet and pulled out the cereal box to return to the recipe I sighted earlier in the week. 


3Tbs margarine or butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cups Tasteeos

You can do this in either a skillet on the stove or in the microwave w/ a large microwave safe bowl. 

1.) Melt the butter
2.) Stir in Sugar and Cinnamon. Mix Well
3.) Add cereal, stirring until all pieces are evenly coated
4.) Spread on waxed paper to cool
5.) Store in an airtight container (i.e. ziplock bag)
6.) ENJOY!!!!

These really taste like a honey nut cheerio to me.  Katie even asked if there was honey in them. I calmed down after my "therapy session" and now the girls have a snack for the car ride tomorrow. If my husband and I don't eat them all tonight after they have gone to bed!

*Just a little disclaimer, Cheerios, Tasteeos and Ziplock are all registered trademarks of companies. In case  you weren't aware. :P

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yes, I need all the help I can get with those gingerbread cookies. :) I love to bake, but sometimes you just hit a bad recipe, you know? Great to meet you via your blog!

    ReplyDelete