When all else fails..."SUGAR COAT IT!"

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Just a Spoonful of Sugar Makes the Medicine Go Down.

Well, here it goes. I have tried blogging before and it has died off quickly, but I LOVE baking, crafting and photography. I have pictures and crafts filling up my house w/ no purpose other than to say to people..."HEY!! Look at what I did today!!!" Not trying to toot my own horn, just love putting stuff together. I get intense pleasure out of taking the odds and ends I have lying around and making a wreath, or taking a pound of ground beef and a cup of rice and coming up with a unique dining creation to feed 14 people. (Me and my family (4) My best friends and their families (10)) 
I have been known to put my kids in the car and run over to my best friend Becky's house for some much needed "Crafting Therapy." As our kids join together in their bedlam we sit around a large box of ribbon or felt creating/finishing a project and taking deep breaths as we join together in our mommy mantra. "We love our kids, We love our kids." 
Me and Becky and ALL our kids!!
Wreath that I showed up at Becky's house w/ half finished  for Crafting Therapy.


 A cake I decorated for my December Mothers of Preschoolers meeting
 Chocolate covered strawberry cake for my friend Jamie's Surprise party. Even the cake was chocolate strawberry, and I was extra proud because this was my first attempt at Chocolate covered Strawberries. I thought they looked exquisite!
Chocolate Cupcakes filled w/ strawberry mousse. The cup of plain mousse in the middle was for my husband. He is allergic to chocolate. Poor guy!! :P





Nothing brings a smile to  my face more than giving someone one of my creations. Whether it is a craft or a dinner or a baked good.  The fact that making it gave me joy and receiving it gives them joy, makes the process wonderful. Sometimes literally, sometimes figuratively it is the sugar of my life. I see most of the responsibilities of my adult life like taking my medicine.  We never really want to. We most of the time fight it and put it off, knowing the whole while it is in our best interest. But what I have learned is that Mary Poppins had it right. A spoonful of sugar does help the medicine of my life go down a little smoother.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for that last paragraph; I needed to hear that right now (as my eldest is sick, and I'm stuck at home until he's better). That's a very good way of summing up life, and sometimes it's so painfully accurate.

    I have always loved to craft and cook (I found this great site: http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/); I'd never thought to look at it like the sugar for lifes upsets.

    It's encouraging to know that there are other women out there who love their families, baking and cooking, crafting and life. Hello!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth! It's great to hear from you. Hang in there with your sick babe. Even 24hrs can feel like 24 DAYS when you are at home with them like that. When all else fails, "sugar coat it"!

    ReplyDelete