When all else fails..."SUGAR COAT IT!"

Monday, December 20, 2010

Chocolate Spoons: Fun for the whole family!!

One of the biggest payoffs for me is seeing my kids wanting to join in on the fun.  I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my projects so I have begun giving them their own projects as they request to "help." I think one of the most wonderful projects that takes very little time, effort, and money is making Chocolate Spoons.  They are so much fun for the kids to make and they make great gifts, or just to keep around the house.  My girls eat their morning cereal with them. It makes whole grain cereal a little more fun when the spoon is coated in chocolate :) and recently I took a cupful of them to church to set next to the coffee station.  I like to keep a package of almond bark around the house, you never know when you may need it, and you can pick up a package of plastic spoons at the dollar store.

All you have to do is melt a chunk or two of almond bark according to the package. (There are even microwave directions.) Then give the kids several plastic spoons and tell them to stir the chocolate until the spoon is covered.  I did one example spoon to show them how mommy does it, but after that it was up to them all I had to do was smile and supervise.  Once the spoons are coated to their liking there are a couple ways to let them dry. You can lie them flat on a piece of wax paper or, if you have it around don't make an extra trip for it, you can stick the handles of the spoons into a piece of foam and the spoons dry "standing up."  That is all it really takes. The chocolate will harden and then you can either eat the chocolate off of the spoons or melt the chocolate into warm milk or coffee.  If you are feeling extra adventurous, after the spoons are dipped but before the chocolate has cooled, you can sprinkle them with sprinkles, mini m&ms, or crushed nuts.  This just adds extra dimension both flavor and texture wise. 

1 comment:

  1. That is the easiest recipe for chocolate spoons that I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete